ASTM D1037 Internal Bond Test Fiberboard and Wood Adhesives
In principle, the test involves bonding specimen blocks to the top and bottom surfaces of the test specimen with a suitable adhesive. The upper loading fixture should be self-aligning, and the specimen blocks should be 2-inch square by 1-inch in thickness and made from steel or aluminum alloy. The loading fixtures, which grip the specimen blocks, are attached to the test machine and tension is applied perpendicular to specimen surface until the specimen fails. The only calculation required is for the tensile strength. The 3300 table top model is recommended for this testing along with the tensile testing blocks.
The challenges of testing to this standard are:
- Performing a tensile test according to the specifications of the standard
- Ensuring only axial loading
- Recording the required amount of data points to capture the delamination of the adhesive
- Performing a tensile test according to the specifications of the standard- Instron Custom Solutions Group engineers have designed a tension fixture to adhere to the stringent requirements of the tensile blocks as stated in ASTM D1037
- Ensuring axial loading-The tensile blocks are attached to the frame using flexible couplings to ensure that only axial loading is being applied to the wood composite specimen
- Recording the required amount of data points- Bluehill® Universal allows the user to adjust the data sampling rate of the software, up to 2.5 kHz in order to capture the most data points
It is important to review ASTM D1037 in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
2820-061 Internal Bond Fixture for Wood
- 125.0 KB
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
- 1.4 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB
Instron 3300 Series Universal Testing Systems for Tensile, Compression, Bend, and other material property tests.
- 2.2 MB